The best chocolate chip cookie bars
These are the absolute best chocolate chip cookies bars, and I’ll tell you why. They are super easy to make. So easy, in fact, that I usually bake these to curb midnight dessert cravings. This recipe comes together in one bowl and requires no heavy lifting or whisking. These cookie bars turn out perfectly crispy around the edges and have a gooey center you’ll be fighting over. This recipe is perfect for making a skillet cookie, although I prefer cutting it into tiny bars. Who am I kidding, I usually end up digging into the baking dish with my spoon, no bars in sight.
The trick to keeping these cookie bars chewy
The baking time isn’t the only thing that keeps these chocolate chip cookie bars chewy. My not so secret ingredient, corn syrup, makes sure the center stays gooey. The brown sugar also adds a nice caramel texture, although I sometimes find I’m out of brown sugar. Does that happen to you as well? Well, don’t worry because I have a great solution! Check the recipe notes below for what you can do if you’re out of brown sugar.
The ingredients make the chocolate chip cookie bars
The most important ingredients in terms of flavor are the chocolate and peanut butter. Using good quality ingredients will result in a superior cookie, texture wise and flavor wise. I always use semi sweet or dark chocolate chocolate chips or chunks. Use good quality peanut butter that doesn’t have any added sugars or extra ingredients. I love baking these in a skillet when I have friends over. I just bake it while we’re eating dinner, and then pop some scoops of ice cream and some chocolate fudge on top and serve this family style at the table. It’s always a hit!
Do you enjoy baking?
Here are some more recipes for you to try!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar not packed
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chooclate chips or chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or any other nut
- Preheat your oven to 360 F
- In a medium bowl mix together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and mix till combined.
- Fold in the flour, salt, baking powder, chocolate chips and nuts. Mix until just combined. No flour streaks should remian.
- Spread out evenly in an 8×8 inch greased baking dish. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is almost set. Then remove from the oven and let it cool completely before cutting into bars or digging in.
Have you tried these delicious cookie bars?
I love hearing your feedback! If you tried this recipe eu’d love to hear how it turned out in the comments below!Add to favorites