Ground Chicken Burgers are full of flavor
I actually prefer ground chicken burgers to beef ones, sorry! Although, if you’re looking for a beef burger recipe you can find it here. You can add so much flavor, and they’re so much lighter than beef burgers. This recipe is my favorite because it’s a copycat recipe from my childhood favorite restaurant in Lahore, Salt n’ Pepper. Salt n’ Pepper is an institution in Lahore that still stands today, and every time I go back I have their chicken burger multiple times. I created this recipe because it’s not feasible to fly back home every time I crave this, which is very often!
How to get a juicy chicken burger
I use chicken breast to make these burgers, but you can use pre ground chicken which is a mixture of chicken breast and thighs. I just never buy ground chicken, I make my own in a food processor at home. If you’re using pre ground chicken I would still recommend pulsing it with the other ingredients in your food processor for a smooth mixture. The trick to these juicy burgers is a slice of milk soaked bread. It adds just the right amount of softness to these burgers that you’ll miss if you don’t add it!
These ground chicken burgers freeze great
When I’m making these burgers, I always make a double batch. I fry them and let them cool completely before transferring to a freezer safe container and freezing them. Then you just need to microwave them when you’re craving burger. Another great way to serve these is in slider buns. Make tiny chicken patties and make cute little sliders for your next picnic or afternoon tea. These burgers are great for kids, in fact they’re a great summer lunch or dinner option.
Ground Chicken Burgers
- Food Processor
- 1 pound ground chicken or boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup green onions roughly chopped
- 1/4 onion roughly chopped
- 1 slice bread
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sriracha optional
- 6 burger buns
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- sliced cheese optional
- Add the green onions, onion, bread and milk to your food processor. Pulse till finley chopped. Then add the chicken, seasoning, vinegar and mustard. Pulse till everything is finely chopped and creates a paste.
- Tranfer the chicken mix to a medium bowl and add the egg and corn starch. Mix until combined, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (You can keep this mix in the fridge for up to 2 days uncooked)
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and dollop 2 tabslepoons of mixture per patty. Flatten out with your spoon to create a circular shape. The mixture is too soft to shape with your hands. You will get 6-7 patties out of this recipe. Fry on both sides for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl mix the ingreidents listed under sauce. You can omit the sriracha if you want to cut the spice. Mix till smooth.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a tablespoon of sauce onto the burger bun, Place the cheese and burger patty n top. Add your fresh vegetables and top with the burger bun. Serve immediately.
Did you try these classic burgers?
I love hearing your feedback! If you tried this recipe I’d love to hear how it turned out in the comments below.Add to favorites