This recipe is one that I have been after for many years. It was written in a cookbook by my mom, then ripped out and placed in another, then it was misplaced and lost forever. One day, I was in the kitchen, about to fix up some Spicy Chicken Manchurian, when I decided I was going to attempt making Chicken with Almonds from memory. I vaguely remembered my mom making it, and with just half of the ingredients in mind, I began mixing and experimenting with sauces until I had my “Aha!” moment, and it was definitely worth the effort.
I’m sure it’s not exactly the same recipe, considering the array of ingredients I used that my mom never did, but it tastes just like it, and that’s more than good enough for me! This recipe is so simple to pull together, as all my recipes are, and I promise you, if you have all your ingredients out in front of you, this will come together in 20-25 minutes. That’s a weeknight meal miracle, isn’t it? The fried almonds make this dish for me. They’re piping hot when they hit the sauce, so you can hear a subtle sizzle, and they add such a delectable crunch, I find myself picking them out when no one’s watching!
I’ve made this countless times using a different medley of vegetables. While I’ve listed onions, carrots and peas, don’t let that stop you from adding what you prefer or what you have at home. I try to make my recipes as approachable as possible, and this is as easy as it gets. I’ve used broccoli and green bell peppers in this, and I’ve also just made it using carrots when that was all I had in the fridge. One thing I never skip though, is those crunchy almonds
Chicken with Almonds
- 1 pound boneless chicken, thinly sliced thighs or breast fillets
- 1 tbsp ginger crushed
- 2 tbsp oil flavorless
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 onion, cut into squares
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup blanched almonds pan fried
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced for garnish
For the sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce low sodium preferred
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Heat the oil in a wok and sauté the chicken with the ginger. Then add the seasonings and sauté until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 8 minutes. Add in the chopped vegetables and sauté for just two minutes, so their colors intensify, but they don’t lose their crunch.
- In a small bowl add the ingredients listed under sauce. Mix until everything is dissolved. Add the sauce to the chicken and let it come to a boil. Lower the flame and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, until it thickens slightly and the ubbles around the edges become larger.
- For the almonds, in a small frying pan add 1/2 tsp of oil and saute the almonds until they turn alight golden brown. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt, toss, then add them to the chicken and agrnish with the sliced green onions. Enjoy with steamed rice or egg fried rice.
I love hearing your feedback! Did you try this recipe? If you did, I’d love to know how it turned out. Leave a comment below!Add to favorites