Eating my way to a healthier self, one Healthy Shrimp Stir Fry at a time
This is not a new year’s resolution. Let’s just get that out of the way. It’s just a kick in the right direction for me, and it happened to start on Jan 5th. So definitely not a resolution. I can’t compromise on flavor, or eat bland food for weeks at a time, so I decided to take on a simple calorie deficit, Pioneer Woman style. So for the past few weeks, I’ve been cooking the same food I normally would, I’m just being more thoughtful about the calories that go into them. And let me tell you, counting calories is so eye opening. Take this healthy shrimp stir fry for example. It is a huge portion, and comes in at under 310 calories. How is that possible, you ask? Just by tweaking the ingredients a bit.
Stir Frys are a great healthy yet flavorful option
You guys already know that I cook with less oil, usually adding only one tablespoon to a recipe. But what I didn’t do was bulk up on the veggies. In a stir fry, you can have 3-4 cups of veggies for every 1 cup of protein and it’ll still taste great and fill you up. Vegetables like broccoli and carrots are great because if you cook them for the right amount of time, they keep a nice bite and really take on the flavor of whatever you’re cooking. A few other favorites are listed in the recipe notes below. For this recipe, you can definitely replace the shrimp for beef or chicken, just keep in mind that the calories will change according to the protein you use.
This shrimp stir fry takes 10 minutes to make and is under 310 calories
Yup, you read that right. From start till finish, this took 10 minutes to make, and it is a total of 305 calories(+-5 calories). You can easily add a serving of steamed brown rice or noodles and this will be a delicious yet healthy meal. The key is to add more veggies than protein, and to keep the high calorie flavors like sesame oil to a minimum. Also, apologies for some measurements in grams. Ot’s just, well, when you’re counting calories, weighing your food is the most accurate way to keep calories in check. Let’s get into it, shall we?
Healthy Shrimp Stir Fry
- non stick pan or wok
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 125 grams shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 60 grams carrots, sliced approx 1/3 cup
- 60 grams broccoli approx 1/2 cup
- 85 grams cabbage, shredded approx 1 cup
- 1 tbsp ginger, crushed
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha
- 1 tsp ketchup
- Start by heating the oil in a non stick pan on medium heat. Add the ginger and shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add all the veggies and 2 tablespoons of water. Add the seasoning and stir to combine, then sauté on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes, or till the vegetables soften just bit and the shrimp is cooked. *Don't add too much salt, because the sauce is salty as well. Adjust the salt at the end.
- In a small bowl add the ingredients for the sauce and mix to combine. Make a well in the pan and add the sauce. Let it bubble then stir fry everything together for a coupe minutes, just until the sauce coats everything. Serve with a srimkle of green onions and sesame seeds.
- This goes great with steamed rice or noodles. It's also great on it's own. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
I love reading your feedback
I love hearing from you guys! If you have tried this recipe I’d love to hear how it turns out in the comments below. Are you enjoying these new low calories recipes?Add to favorites