You won’t miss the calories in these skinny chicken enchiladas
I love making these as a light weeknight meal. These skinny chicken enchiladas don’t take much to make, just a few pantry staples. And they definitely don’t taste like they’re missing any calories. They’re filling and full of flavor, just the way I like them. You can use any vegetables you like and make them as spicy as you want. I have a few variations and substitutions listed in the recipe notes. If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, I have a great veggie enchilada recipe that you can find here .
This recipe was first published on the blog as chicken enchiladas five years ago, but I recently made it a little differently and loved the results so much that I wanted to share them with you! I adjusted this to make it lighter by changing a few things. By switching out the flour tortillas for low carb ones, changing up the cheese and cutting the cream in the sauce, the calories went down but the flavor stayed. The chicken filling is a bit more spicy as well. I hope you enjoy!
The variations are endless for these skinny chicken enchiladas
There are so many ways you can change this up. Switch to corn tortillas and these becomes gluten free. If you use non dairy cheese and cashew cream, this becomes dairy free. I also switch up the filling. For the most part I add onions and bell peppers, but If I want these skinny enchiladas to be filling, I add a can of low sodium black beans or kidney beans. I prefer to add the cheese only on top, to keep the calories a little low.
These are perfect for meal prep, and freeze great as well
Just like my veggie enchiladas, these skinny chicken enchiladas will make your life better in many ways. When I make these for dinner, I always make sure I sneak a tray into the fridge or freezer for an easy meal on a busy day. These freeze great, but a baked tray of these can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days before being baked. And did I mention the leftovers are just as good? It’s a recipe that keeps on giving. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Do you enjoy Tex-Mex flavors as much as I do?
Here are a few other Tex-Mex favorites from the blog for you to try:
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
- 13×9 baking Dish
- 1 pound boneless chicken thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 10 low carb tortillas 8 or 10 inch size
- 3 tbsp heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup taco sauce mild or hot
- 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 cups part skim mozzarella shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- Preheat your oven to 380 F.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the chicken strips. Add the seasonings listed under chicken and suate for 3 minutes. Then add the sliced onions and bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes, then cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas and roll into burritos. Place fold side down in your greased baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix the cream, taco sauce and water. Spread the sauce over the rolled tortillas edge to edge. Sprinkle over the cheese and green onions. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese starts turning golden brown. Serve warm.
Did you enjoy these skinny chicken enchiladas?
I love hearing your feedback! if you tried this recipe I’d love to hear how it turned out in the comments below!Add to favorites