These Tex Mex Egg Rolls are so good!
These Tex Mex Egg Rolls are so good and they’re vegetarian! I made a big batch of Veggie Enchiladas one day, which are to die for by the way, and had some filling leftover. Instead of making another tray of enchiladas, I decided to try my hand at these egg rolls, and since that day I have always had a batch of these in my freezer. You can make mini ones by rolling the egg roll pastry a little tighter, or keep them full size like these. They make a great party appetizer, are a great picnic food, and they will make your afternoon tea spread a memorable one.
It make sense to make a big batch of egg rolls
Once you get the process going, it doesn’t take much time to make a large batch of these. I find the rolling so therapeutic! I love that these freeze so well. The cheese in the filling gets stringy and delicious once fried and you get a cross between a mozzarella stick and an egg roll. How delicious is that? I flash freeze these in a single layer for one hour, then transfer to a zip top bag or container and keep them in my freezer, ready to be fried.
These Tex Mex Egg Rolls are fuss free
I love a recipe that is adaptable. These can easily become vegan if you replace the cheese for a non dairy option. Just like the filling of my Veggie Enchiladas, you can add what you have in these. I suggest using sliced cheese sticks in these Tex Mex egg rolls, but I have used shredded cheese in these when I was out of cheese sticks, and it still works great. You can add any combination of vegetables to the filling. I even sneak in some spinach to get some more greens in. You can add some shredded chicken to the filling, although they are hearty enough as is. I have more variations and substitutions in the recipe notes below.
Fry these low and slow
You can air fry this if you want, with just a light spray of oil. I like to fry them. Th trick to getting them crispy is to fry them on a medium flow flame. Low and slow creates a crispy shell. If the oil is too hot the wrapper’s top layer will burn and the inner layer will be raw. I have not tried baking these, but If any of you do I would love to hear how it worked out for you!
Tex Mex Egg Rolls
- 1/2 batch Veggie Enchilada Filling prepared
- 2 packs egg roll wrappers
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks quartered lengthwise
- flour and water paste
- Separate the egg rolls wrappers. Place flat with a corner facing upwards. Place 1.5 tablsepoons of the enchilada filling towards the bottom corner. Add a slice of string cheese.
- Fold the bottom corner upwards, securing the filling. Then fold in each side towards the center. Spead some flour and water paste on the top corner and roll to secure. Repeat this process until all the filling is used up.
- To freeze, flash freeze in a single layer on a tray for one hour, then transfer to a zip top bag or air tight freezer safe container and freeze for up to one month.
- To fry fresh rolls, just heat 2 inches of oil in a pan and fry on a medium low flame for 3 minutes on each side, or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
- To fry from frozen, take out 15-20 minutes and pat dry before frying so the condensation on the rolls doesn't cause oil spatters. Fry until golden brown on both sides, approximately 3-4 minutes each side. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
I love hearing your feedback! If you tried these Tex Mex egg rolls I’d love to hear how you liked them in the comments below.Add to favorites